Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Father's Love


Eunice is a 4 yo little girl, who is loved very much by her father.  One year ago, her father brought her to Kudjip to be evaluated.  She had a very large tumor of her face, which disfigured her nose and caused her lip to swell.  No one else was able to help her and he brought her to us to see if we could.  We started her on chemotherapy and tailored that to her biopsy result of a rhambdomyosarcoma. 

When she initially came to us, she didn’t really know what was going on, she just knew every time she came she got poked with needles to take blood and to give medicine.  She often would be crying as soon as she saw me.  Over time, she got better and now no longer cries when she gets poked and even pushes the syringe herself to give her the chemotherapy. 

For almost one year, her father has enjoyed seeing his 3yo be a little girl again.  The chemo shrunk the tumor and left her only with a small defect in her nose.  When he saw the chemo working, he was willing to do whatever it took to continue to get the treatment that was bringing life back into his daughter.  Once he even took her on an innertube across a flooded river in order to get to the hospital for her treatment. 

This past week, I had to tell him that the medicine which had given him his daughter back was no longer working and that I didn’t have anything else to give her to fight the cancer.  He was almost in tears as I spoke to him and his love for his daughter was very apparent.  He told me he feels so bad for her, he wants to cut off his arms and legs.  Thankfully, he knows that chopping himself won’t help her or him, but it was a way for him to express how much he loves and cares for his daughter. 

We prayed, hugged and I sent them home, knowing she has a very loving father and family who will do their best to look out for her as the end draws near.  Please pray for Eunice and her family in these next weeks.  Pray that God would do a miracle and heal her and pray for the family to be comforted by Him as only He can do.  Pray that they would enjoy these last few days, weeks, and hopefully, months together. 

Eunice's Fathers love reminded me of a song by Stuart Townend called How Deep the Father’s Love for Us and it talks about God’s love for us.   I am thankful that because of God’s love, I know I will see Eunice again in heaven if not sooner.  

The song goes:
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast inJesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom