Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Back to Work


After 48 hrs of travel, I arrived safely at Kudjip on Friday evening, and after 2 days of trying to get my time clock situated, getting unpacked and getting caught up on what I missed in the past 4 months, I was ready for work.


Despite being gone for 4 months, many things at Kudjip Nazarene Hospital remain the same, the faces of staff and patients, my responsibility and the kinds of diseases I would be seeing.  I started on our medical ward and cared for patients with anemia, cervical cancer, diarrhea, pneumonia and other infections.  I then made my way to the outpatient clinic where a sign and flowers greeted me on my clinic room door and then many patients followed. 
   
I saw kids with diarrhea, pneumonia and malnutrition.  Adults with high blood pressure, arthritis, malaria, typhoid, headaches, HIV and more.  I saw 2 patients with a dislocated shoulder, 4 patients needed a lumbar puncture on to rule out meningitis, 3 patients needed me to drain fluid from their abdomen to determine it’s cause, many patients who helped reacquaint me with ultrasound and 1 lady who was chopped 4 times by her husband and required lots of suturing and more.  It was a full day with much variety, procedures, lots of laughs and smiles, interactions with my colleagues and more.  It is good to be back.