Friday, August 8, 2014

A joy to serve

Some patient interactions go great, but others are quite frustrating for me.  I wish I knew how to have them all end well, I think if I readjusted my expectations at times, it might help.  It has been 7 years, and I haven't learned the secret of always serving with joy, but some patients give me joy, and  bring a smile to my face, without even trying.

This papa has developed lung cancer after smoking most of his life.  Yet he came because we asked him to, not because he was sick.  He told me he felt fine, despite obviously losing weight, and having some difficulty walking.  We talked about the Lord, we prayed together, and I got a smile out of him as I said the only 3 words I knew in his tok ples (his original language).  He kept talking in his tok ples, but morning, afternoon, and good evening where the end of what I knew, but he smiled anyway, and kept shaking my hand.  I really did nothing medically for him, but he sure did a lot for me by reminding me of what a privilege and joy it is to serve here.