Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year

We celebrated the New Year with a Japanese New Year celebration here at Kudjip.  Sheryl organized the gathering and prepared a lot of the Asian cuisine, while the rest of us did our best to bring an Asian dish.  We enjoyed good food and fellowship and some laughter as we played games.

As I read through the Christmas story this year, I was struck with the story of the Wisemen.  I thought of them following the Star which guided them from their home and ultimately led them to Jesus, and thought how hard it must have been for them to follow a star to an unknown place and yet they went.  At the end, the star brought them to Jesus and they worshipped him and brought him treasures.  I couldn't imagine following a star in the sky in order to find Jesus, I am thankful for the Bible, which helps to guide us to Jesus, as well as to the "stars" around us, which also lead us to Him.

As I have reflected on this story, prayer for the year is that God would use me like the Star that guided the Wisemen to Jesus.  I hope that my life, my actions, and my words can be used by God to lead others to Jesus, just as the Star did the wisemen.  I know as a missionary my job is to help folks come to Jesus, but I also know that despite my best efforts, there are many times when my words and actions do not lead people to Jesus, and I hope that can change this coming year.