Sunday, June 17, 2018

Triplets

This past Wednesday, I got to participate in the delivery of triplets.  We have a lot of twin births here (including 2 sets within an hour of the triplets) but very few triplets.  Every time I see a woman who is pregnant and looks larger than she should, I always think, this might be the time I find the triplets - but it hasn't happened yet, even this time.

I saw the mom towards the end of clinic with elevated blood pressure and swollen legs.  I did an ultrasound and definitely knew she had twins, but could never find what I thought was a 3rd head, so I thought she just had 2 in there.  After getting some lab work, I felt like we needed to induce her that night to have her babies, instead of waiting.  Having had 4 prior babies, she quickly, delivered her first baby without any problem.  The nurse called me to say the next baby was not head down.  On exam, I found a leg and so decided to do a Csection and Tubal Ligation (which the mom was asking for).  In the Csection, I delivered a good sized baby boy who looked great, and when I put my hand in to get the placenta out - I felt a hard head.  Despite me not finding them on US - there were 3 babies in there.  So I quickly delivered the 3rd baby - completing the triplets.

Mom already had 1 boy and 3 girls at home and now she got another girl and 2 boys to add to her mix.  The watchmeri, was quite surprised when the nurse and I brought back 2 babies after the Csection, not just one.  Despite it being almost midnight, the whole ward was pretty excited to have triplets join them.  The babies were all good size and are doing quite well.  The watchmeri - mom's sister, is going to adopt the girl, and mom and dad are going to keep the 2 boys - keeping them busy still by having 6 at home.