Friday, November 23, 2007

Thankful for life

This past week there have been 3 attempted suicides that I have cared for on the medical ward. I don't fully understand why they all attempted suicide. They often give the answer they were belhat (angry), or kros (angry) at another person, but they often don't give more information.

One was a young lady named Naomi. She had gotten into a fight with her boyfriend and then hung herself. On admission, Dr. Bill thought she had anoxic brain injury and would die. I saw her the next morning on rounds and she was interacting with me. She didn't really want to talk with me, but she knew the names of those around her. The following day, she was sitting up in bed saying she wanted to go home. Before she went home I took the opportunity to talk with her about the Lord. She believes in Jesus and knows He died for her sins. She didn't give me much info as to why she wanted to kill herself, but she admitted she wanted to. I had an opportunity to talk with her more about what we can do when we are angry at others and how trying to kill yourself isn't what God wants. She let me pray with her and we enjoyed some laughs at my Pidgin.

Another lady was named Theresa. She was upset at her husband so she jumped off a bridge. She also cut her hand with a bush knife. She had a 9 month old baby also. When I talked with her, she said she was kros wantaim man bilong mi (upset at my husband), but that was all. She said that she forgave her husband and he forgave her. I too got to share the gospel with her and her husband and ask God to help them both in their relationship and marriage.

The last lady, Susan, was upset at her son who stole some money from her, so she drank some poison. Praise God all these patients have walked out of the hospital. There is a lot about the culture that I don't fully understand, but am trying to ask questions and figure it out. I don't understand why so many people hurt themselves when things don't go right. Keep praying for the Lord to continue to work in the hearts of these PNG people.