Saturday, March 29, 2008

McCoys heading home on furlough


One neat thing about believers is that the love of Christ binds people together in a way that allows for folks to become family when you are far away from family. This has been true in my life when I was in residency with the Leiberts, and now in PNG with the McCoys, who live next door. Bill and Marsha have been a great source of encouragement, the answerers of many of my questions, the teachers of cooking and medicine, a bike riding friend, and more. Today they left to return to the States for their 4 month furlough. They will spend 3 months of this time traveling around the US to different Nazarene churches sharing stories of what God has done in and through their lives. They will also be spending time with their family while back home, you can pray for them while they are away.


Before folks leave on furlough, the other missionaries invite them over for dinner so they don't have to worry about cooking while they are packing and getting things ready to leave. So I had them over for dinner last night. I was somewhat nervous about this dinner. At a recent dinner with the McCoys and some others, Bill mentioned how living with Marsha has made him somewhat picky. He really appreciates and enjoys Marsha's good cooking, and looks forward to it. This is not what one who doesn't cook wants to hear prior to cooking for them. I figured if I made a recipe of Marsha's and asked lots of questions to make sure I got it right, it shouldn't be too bad. So we had sweet and sour chicken, rice and zucchini cake. It seemed to turn out alright, they ate it.


As a result of the McCoys leaving, I have inherited added responsibilities. I get to water their plants and feed Buster. They didn't ask if I was any good with plants, just if I would water them. I will attempt to not kill them while they are gone, but I can't promise anything. I haven't been real successful with plants before, but we shall see. I also get to feed Buster. Buster is their cat, which a previous missionary had left with them. He sleeps a lot and is a picky eater. Thankfully, unlike the silent plants, he will whine and purr if I don't feed him, so I don't think I will forget him. I also get to tend to Bill's garden - but more on that later.


With the McCoys leaving today, I have been doing a lot of praying. Goodbyes are never easy, but I am thankful that the Lord never leaves us, when all else around us changes, He is a constant. Matt 28:20 "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Romans 8:38-39 "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the Love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."