Thursday, December 6, 2007

Catherine and Jeffrey


This past week, I have seen a lot of patients who I have diagnosed with cancer, or have cancer and I was seeing them for a second opinion. Catherine came to me on Thursday. She is probably in her mid 40s. She had been losing weight and had been having some irregularities of her period. She looked sick, cachetic. I was worried about TB or HIV, until I did my exam. I found she has inoperable cervical cancer. Her brother Jeffrey was with her, he shed some tears as we explained the diagnosis. I hadn't seen that here before, but he truly cares for his sister. I was able to offer her supportive care and pain control, but I was also able to share with her the Love and Hope that we can have in Christ. My nursing student, Swarta and I shared the gospel with her. She now has a hope of eternal life that she didn't have before. Eph 2:4-5 - "But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved." Although in this life cancer will destroy her body, she will soon have a new body in heaven.