Tuesday, August 29, 2017

A Good Day

When people get home from work or school, someone often asks them, "How was your day."  The typical response is, "Good."  But what defines a "good" day vs a "bad" day?  Likely, one person's good day could be interpreted as bad by another person, it is very subjective.   For me, as a doctor when someone asks my how my day was, a "good" day could mean lots of things.  It could be that no one died that day, that I slept while on call, that I got to help someone, that I got to pray with someone, that I got to do a procedure, that I wasn't at the hospital all day when on call, or any combination of these.  I like that "good" days don't all look the same, especially as a missionary in Papua New Guinea, very few days look the same, but many of them are "good."  Today was one of them.

Today was the 1st day back after a 3 day weekend, typically a really busy clinic day.  We have seen up to 200 patients on days like this, which can be quite taxing with the sheer number of patients and the physical needs they present with.  Thankfully, there are 6 of us in clinic these days, so we share the load of patients better, giving us more time with the patients we see.

Just before lunch, I thought to myself, this has been a really good day.  For me today "good" was defined by really helping people who were sick.  There was a women who had missed her period for 3 months, she had become pregnant, but the baby didn't form inside the uterus, instead formed outside.  She had fainted at home and was rushed in, she had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy and a belly full of blood, had she waiting just a few hours more, it might have been too late.  There were two patients who had cancer of their mouths, while I couldn't help them with medicine to cure them, I was able to share with them about Jesus and pray with them.  There was a little girl who feel 3 days ago and had a swollen arm due to a fracture and we were able to help by straightening it out, and decreasing the pain she felt.  There was a 30ish yo man who had swelling of his mouth and couldn't swallow, he got admitted for IV antibiotics and may need surgery, but had he waited a bit longer he likely would have ended up intubated and having emergency surgery because he couldn't breathe.  There were kids with pneumonia, moms who were concerned about their child's diarrhea, daughter's concerned about their mom's cough, a women who fell and broke her ankle, who was so happy to get a nice walking boot to go home in and many more.

So today was a good day.  We definitely saved some people's life with our medical and surgical skills, we helped calm fears in some of our patients, we gave people hope with their diagnosis, we introduced people to Jesus and prayed with them.  Definitely a good day.