Monday, March 23, 2020

And so it begins . . .

While the rest of the world has been locked down for the past few weeks, Papua New Guinea, has mostly been carrying on as normal, as it seemed we had escaped the Coronavirus Pandemic.

That all changed this past Friday, when our first imported case was confirmed.  Thankfully, for the past few weeks, we have been planning and preparing for what to do - when/if Coronavirus came into PNG.  The Prime Minister of PNG announced last night, that he is shutting down the country starting tomorrow - no international or domestic flights, no province crossing, no public motor vehicles, no markets, no school - at least for 14 days.  We hope and pray that these efforts will contain the spread of COVID-19.  But if they don't - we are ready.

As we talked about how to approach it - we wanted to figure out a way to try and still provide care to all the folks in our Province who need our regular Hospital services - while also screening for COVID patients.  We decided, we needed to separate out the two.  So today our Maintenance guys put up a tent today in nearby field.  Just a short walk off of station.  Allowing the Hospital to see the high blood pressure and DM and aches and pains, and the tent to see anyone with Cough and Fever and other Respiratory Symptoms.


The tent is complete with open air, social distancing, hand washing stations, power, a nearby incinerator and pit toilet, oxygen, a treatment room, nurse screening area, and a doctor exam area.  The Maintenance guys transformed a field into a little mini clinic very quickly.

If we never have another COVID-19 patient in the country, I will be okay with that.  But if we do, we will be ready.  Ready to do the best we can in our environment.  We don't have much to offer medically - we have some IV fluid and oxygen, but we have the love and hope of Jesus that we can share.

Thankfully, Nazarene Hospital Foundation, Project Save and others who send supplies to us, have enabled us to have some PPE.  PPE isn't something that our hospital would normally have, it isn't something we typically get from the government here.  We are thankful for what we have and plan to use it as best we can to get the most out of it.  We are working on some alternative face masks/covers for our patients and watchman and for our Surgery lain - as we will run out of disposable facemasks soon.

As we pray for all of you around the world who are in lockdown and battling Covid on your Homefront - remember to pray for us too.  I am sure there is fear everywhere, but seems especially prevalent in our communities here.  I've been reading a book about Psalm 23 recently, which has given me great comfort in the past few days.  Praying all of us can find the peace and comfort we need.

Psalm 23 - "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul.  He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  You prepared a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever."