Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Rebekah

Rebekah is a medical student from Switzerland who has been with us for 2 months now. She speaks German and a number of other languages, but English wasn't one of those. So speaking English every day was a challenge for her, but a good challenge. When I first met her and talked to her, I felt like we were playing charades as I was trying to guess what she was trying to say and didn't know the word for it, but after 2 months she has learned a lot.
It has been fun talking to her and learning about Switzerland and how they do things there in relation to medical school, holidays, and life in general. Steph was in the Christmas spirit and thought it would be fun to have us come over and help decorate her house. So Becky, Steph, Rebekah and I spent Sunday afternoon decorating Steph's house and learning about Christmas in Switzerland. They don't have nearly the number of decorations that most Americans have, decorate their real trees with apples and candles, celebrate St. Nicholas Day, and don't tell kids about Santa Claus. They also don't have Christmas shows on TV like we do in the US, so I introduced her to one of my favorites - Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas. It was a good time. One night she invited Becky and I to dinner and introduced us to crocodile curry, which was surprisingly quite good. It was great having her here.