Saturday, January 12, 2008

First Bike Ride

Friday after work, Bill and I went on my first bike ride. We went on the dirt, rock, and mud path behind our houses. There were quite a few mud puddles. Some we walked our bikes through while others we rode through, so the bike and I got pretty muddy, but it was fun. We rode up and down hills through the different villages, greeting people as we rode. The villagers would stop walking or gardening and watch us and say "Apinun." Some kids would scream and start to run behind us, following us.

At one point, we stopped at a place where lots of villagers were gathered, the kids kept reaching out wanting to touch Bill - a white skin. As we were standing there I saw a log across the river spanning the 2 banks, I asked if they used it as a bridge. Just then a kid of about 3yo came running down the hill and casually walked across this 8 ft long, maybe 1 ft wide tree trunk, that was about 5 feet from the river. No parents around, no one to hold his hand, no one to catch him in case he fell into the river below as he walked across. So that quickly answered my question, but I don't know that I would have wanted to walk across it.

At another point near Tumba church we found some kids enjoying the mud. They were sliding down the mud hill on some sort of plastic, or cardboard which they sat on and then went down this hill. They were covered in mud but were having fun. It reminded me of the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" when in the beginning the kids are sliding down the snow on the shovels.


Taking the ride sure gave me a better appreciation for the villagers and what it is like for them. They have no running water, no electricity, no toilets. They go to the river to bathe and get water for cooking. They cook the food which they grow in their gardens - kaukau, beans, corn, and peanuts. At one pt, there were people along the side of the road selling some peanuts and a few other things. I wondered who would be buying that, but apparently someone does. It sure makes me thankful for what God has given me.