Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sweet Corn

When I got here almost 3 years ago, I didn't eat corn along with most other vegetables. The corn that is grown here is a field corn that isn't sweet like you might find in the States, so this didn't stimulate my appetite to eat corn. However, over time, I have acquired a liking for corn and it is now the only canned vegetable that I buy. In all my years of gardening here (2), we haven't been able to grow sweet corn. Bill has had a bunch of seeds from years past and I kept trying to plant them, but nothing would come up. When Becky's parents visited, in January, they brought some seeds with them that included corn. I was quite pessimistic at the prospect of actually growing corn, but had an open plot, so thought I would give it a try. Sure enough the corn started growing and just this week I have enjoyed eating it. I didn't get a big harvest, but I will take the 4 ears that I have gotten so far. When I was harvesting them, I discovered that insects of some sort started to eat my precious ears of corn and I had to get rid of the ends of most of my ears. Anyone know how to discourage the insects without hurting the corn? - I know roundup isn't the answer.