Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Grandma

My grandma, Katie Kocjancic, has gone home to be with the Lord. After battling leukemia for the past 10 months, the Lord has called her home. I had received emails from my sister suggesting that my grandma wasn't going to live much longer. At this same time, I saw Nathaniel (see previous blog below) who seemed to be responding to treatment for his cancer. Questions started coming - Why did my grandma get cancer? Why did Nathaniel get cancer? Why is he getting better, but my grandma didn't? Thankfully, those answers lie with the Lord.

Unfortunately, due to our fallen world, sin abounds, and thus sickness and death are everywhere. My grandma dying of cancer does not mean that God isn't real, or doesn't love her or me, or isn't answering prayers. Death is a part of this life for us all, but the knowledge that my grandma is going to heaven, is what is amazing. God is merciful. All of us deserve to die and go to hell because we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Rom 3:23). But God who is full of mercy and love (Eph 2:4) sent Christ to die for us while we were sinners (Rom 5:8). Jesus died in our place and took our punishment for sin upon Him. He then rose again and defeated death. We know we will be with Him in heaven, when we put our faith in Him and the work He did for us on the cross. Thankfully this is all that we must do to be saved, no good works are required (Eph 2:8-9). I am thankful that God saved her and I will see her again. The last time I talked with her on the phone she said, "I will see you above." I was encouraged by that, as I know that like King David said about his son "I will go to him, but he will not return to me" (2 Sam 12:21), I will see her again. I was also encouraged that she is no longer suffering. Thankfully, she never had a lot of pain until the end, and was able to still do quite a bit up until close to the end.

Above she is pictured with my aunts, my sister and my nephew for his 1st birthday party which they had at the hospital. One of the last times I got to be with her was at my going away party before I left. I am very thankful for the time I had with her before I came to PNG, and for the conversations that we had. She was a big part of my life growing up. Things I remember most was her traveling to see my sister and I play sports, spending a week or 2 at her house each summer, learning how to ride a bike, playing ball in her yard, swimming, homemade chicken noodle soup, cabbage, holidays, and lots more. I will surely miss her, but look forward to our reunion in heaven. Thank you all for your prayers for my family and I during this time.