Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The old is gone the new has come

When we become Christians our lives are changed by the Holy Spirit. 2 Cor 5:17 says "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" A similar transformation from the old to the new occurred here at Kudjip 2 weeks ago as we moved into the new hospital. Change isn't always easy to accept, but often is necessary, this is true with the new hospital. There was a lot of stuff about the old hospital that I liked, was comfortable with, was use to, but the building was falling apart and change was needed. The changing of the hospitals occurred while I was away in Cambodia, so this week is my first opportunity to experience this change. On Monday, I found myself asking lots of questions trying to figure out where things were, opening all the drawers in my room to discover what was in them. What use to take me a few minutes to do, took much longer because I didn't know where to find what I needed, including a phone. Everyone is still trying to get use to things in the new hospital and make the necessary adjustments and adaptations from our "old" ways. We have had some issues with the sewage, as the patients were putting everything into the toilets which blocked up the pump, and pharmacy is still trying to organize and get meds into their new homes. However, all in all, the new hospital is great and I am thankful to be working inside of it. We have a bigger ER, more delivery beds, more patient beds, a bigger OPD, the generator works, and many patients to care for - many blessings to be thankful for indeed.