Monday, November 16, 2009

Thailand conference

The whole reason for going to Thailand and Cambodia was to participate in Samaritan's Purse 2009 Eurasia conference. I was invited to attend last year, as a postresident with World Medical Mission, but it didn't workout. This year both Becky and I got to go. We met a lot of other SP people and postresidents. Most of the postresidents spent Saturday before the conference together in Bangkok touring the city and learning what God was doing in each other's lives. It was a great reminder to pray for the Lord's work around the world.
The conference was very nice. It was held at Springfield resort, about 2.5 hrs outside of Bangkok, which is home to a golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus. Sorry Dad - I didn't golf on the course, it was quite expensive, but I did go to the driving range one afternoon with some of the other participants. I hit the ball pretty well with the driver, but still sliced everything. On most afternoons, I enjoyed the pool and played water polo (not real water polo as we could standup.) Despite being smaller than all the others playing, I managed to hold my own without dislocating my shoulder as I fought for the ball with guys much bigger than me. It was a lot of fun.
There were a number of good speakers at the conference including Duncan Brown (on R with wife), who shared with us each morning. He is a pastor from Australia, and reminded us who we are as believers in Christ and to listen to the Holy Spirit for guidance. He also taught us a lot about Australia in his daily quizzes which some of us got to partcipate in. During the conference we had some great times of worship, including singing "This is the Day" in various languages, as over 20 countries were represented by all the participants. I was thankful for the chance to get away from the daily routine at Kudjip for a few days, to be refreshed and reminded of what God has called me to and the blessing I have to serve Him at Kudjip.