Sunday, December 6, 2009

Santa Hat

In clinic this week, a little kid comes into my room with a little Santa hat on. I thought she was cute, but after she left I started to wonder why her mom put it on her. Did she just need a hat and found this one so she used it, or does she know the hat can be part of the Christmas season? Lots of patients wear things that seems strange to me, but to them it is just clothes - like a bathrobe, or a scarf when it isn't cold, or a guy with a ladies pink hat on. I should have asked mom if it was just a hat, but didn't. Later, I asked some of our nationals about Santa while doing a C-section. A college of nursing student told me she had no idea who Santa Claus was, so I tried to tell her the story, but found it hard to explain to her why Americans continue to tell this story. Magaret, our OT supervisor, told me she knows about Santa, but only because she has read about it in books, but it isn't something PNGers know about or tell kids about. Although many PNGers don't know who Santa Claus is they do know who Jesus is, which is all that matters.
Luke 2:11 "Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord."