Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Becoming a vegetarian

Ok, I am not a vegetarian, but am definitely now a vegetable eater. When I first got here, 3 yrs ago, I ate only cucumbers, lettuce, cabbage and carrots. It has been a 3 year process, but now I eat everything but papaya from the garden, which includes peas, green beans, tomatoes, squash and corn. Yep, you read that right - GREEN BEANS.
My house adjoins the McCoys and the garden is right outside my house. It was Bill's garden, but 2 yrs ago when he went back to the US on furlough I started working in it and he hasn't gotten me to leave. Previously, the McCoys ate the majority of the food from the garden, and when they weren't here I would find others to give the vegetables to. That has changed these past few months while they have been gone. Initially, I was giving away most of the food, especially the beans, but one day I kept some of the green beans and tried them and I haven't given them away since. Good thing we have a big garden so we can share all the yummy vegetables when the McCoys get back.