Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Time in Surgery


The past few weeks, I have had the opportunity to work in surgery with Jim and Scott Pringle, a volunteer, OB/Gyn who is here for his 2nd 3 month stint.  I have always enjoyed surgery, especially after my time in Ghana, Africa as a student and resident, where I worked in a mission hospital and where the surgeons there let me do so much.  I am thankful  I get to do C/Sections here regularly, but I do enjoy being in there for other things also.  Usually, I am needed in clinic to help see all our outpts everyday, so it isn’t feasible for me to spend time in the OT much, but we currently have some extra help and so I am able to do some more surgery. 

It has been great to work with both Jim and Scott and to learn from them and to have them teach me how to do various surgeries.  There are times when Jim isn’t around and we have to send all of our surgical cases to Mt. Hagen, an hour by ambulance to have them seen.  I know I will never be able to do everything that Jim does, but maybe I could learn enough to become proficient at somethings, like ruptured ectopics which would help folks out, we shall see.