Sunday, November 26, 2017

Hopes and dreams

For many the hope and dream of having a child of their own is something they have thought about for years.  They have come up with names they like and they know how many they want, or think they want.  But for some, the hope and dream remains unreachable.

A 20 something year old female came into my room recently, with hopes and dreams of having her own children, but she was scared something might be wrong with her and wanted me to check it out.  As we talked and I did the exam, her fears of something being wrong proved true, and I wasn't sure she was going to be able to have her own kids.

Despite only spending about 5 minutes together, I knew the news of not being to have a child would crush her.  Not being brave enough to deliver the news just yet, I tried to think of anything that could be done, looking up if there was a surgery or way to correct the problem, seeing if there was a way I didn't have to tell her she won't be able to have a child.  While the books did talk about possible surgeries, I wasn't sure if it was anything that could be done in PNG.

Stalling as long as I possibly could, I knew I needed to tell her what I had found and what that might mean as far as her having kids.  As much as I wanted to be able to tell her a surgery would fix her, I couldn't, and had to be truthful saying I am not sure if anything can be done.  As the words came out, her tears flowed down her cheek and then tears started flowing down my cheeks too.  Tears of dreams shattered, of hopes unreachable, and my heart broke for her as hers was being torn in two.

We prayed together and asked God for comfort and peace, especially when plans and dreams don't turn out like you thought they would.  Pray for her too to be able to experience God's peace and to grow in His grace during this time.