Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Trip to Town

Today was the monthly "teacher shopping day," which means I also got to go shopping. I got up and rounded before we left and then packed myself into the Land Cruiser with the others - Mike and Diane Chapman, Kathy Radcliffe, Joy Johnson, Mimi Kim, and myself. We had a list of things to get done and thankfully did them all and still got home at 4:45, in time to play basketball. I wish I had taken a picture of the Land Cruiser when we got home as we had the bike and a bunch of coolers tied to the roof, and the back was full of our groceries. I didn't know if we were all going to make it, but thankfully we saved places for us to sit.

Some of our stops included the grocery store, bank, market, christian bookstore, digicel store (cell phone), lunch at the Highlander, and other various shops. I got a PNG drivers license today - I don't actually have a photo ID, because they are out of toner, but I have my paperwork. All you need is 60 Kina and a US license and they will give you a license. I guess they don't really care that I haven't drive on the L side of the road or with a standard much. Thankfully I won't be driving much, but it is nice to have if needed. I also got a few PNG original crafts in town today. I got the pottery at the Christian Bookstore, they have a variety of pieces from candlestick holders to bowls, to tea pots and cups, but I went with a few bowls. I also got the serving tray, the baskets can be found outside of BestBuy (grocery store). If you wait long enough they will come down on the price, but if you like something, you may just have to buy it.

I purchased a bike today. I had been thinking about asking one of the other missionaries to borrow theirs so I could do some regular exercise - but it didn't seem too practical. We happened to go into a new store today, and they had a bunch of bikes. I don't know much about bikes, but I knew the prices weren't bad. They had a few which required foot brakes, and foot gear changing - I didn't like that idea, so I went with the one shown. It was only 230 Kina which is like $87. I was worried it wouldn't be any good and fall apart given the price, but Mike assured me it should last me for my time here. So I now have transportation from one end of the station to the other and hope to use it regularly for exercising. I will have to stay on the station when I go by myself, but if others are going out for a ride on the road, I will try and tag along. For those who gave me money for Christmas or my Birthday - thanks I put it to good use.