Tuesday, September 2, 2008

New Ultrasound Machine

Previously, I mentioned that we were looking to get a new ultrasound machine to replace ours, which was aging quickly. While the McCoys were on furlough, they were able to raise a lot of funds, and some of you contributed as well, so as a result we now have a new ultrasound machine. It works great. We have only been using it for 2 days, but things are much clearer. I have seen more ovarian cysts in these past 2 days that I ever did before. Lots of patients come in everyday asking for an ultrasound for their back pain, reflux, or any complaint they have. Part of what I do everyday is to educate them that not everything needs a "scan." At times, this is frustrating as they insist on having a scan for things that I can't see. (This is also why we won't get a CT scan, the whole country will be here wanting a CT of everything.) The colon is something that isn't well visualized on US, but with the new machine I am amazed at how well, at times, I can see the colon. Hopefully, this machine won't throw my whole I can't visualize it objection out the window.