Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hike

Bill, Quinton, Lydia and I got up early this past Saturday and headed up the gorge to the river to hike and fish. We had a great morning, hearing some birds of paradise singing to us as we were walking. The weather was very nice and we somehow managed to escape the downpour that the station received.

We didn’t catch anything except a few leaves, but we had a great time. The last time I was fishing was 2 years ago, and I can’t even tell you the last time I was fishing before that. As a result, I made a number of casts into the nearby foliage or got it snagged on rocks as I was trying to reel it in. These snags resulted in all of us getting the opportunity to go swimming to unhook them. My last cast went into the foliage right at the base of a rapid with a whirlpool there. I went in after this one and enjoyed a cold swim, using the current to take me to the side so I could get out. Thankfully, I managed to dry out somewhat quickly.

Quinton was cold after he went swimming and tried to start a fire, but the flint broke, so it didn't happen.  Bill had a secret fishing strategy that he failed to mention to the rest of us, hiding behind a rock o the fish don't know you are there.  It didn't work, but looked good.  It was a great hike, we saw some of the beauty of God’s creation around us and enjoyed the fellowship with one another.