Monday, October 29, 2007

Suicide Rocks




On Saturday, I went with the Radcliffes, Leigh Anne, Angela, Ethan Myers, Sam Bennett, and Dr. Bill McCoy to Suicide Rocks. As you can see in the pictures, this is a place where you jump off the rocks into the flowing river below. I am not sure how deep it is, but I didn't touch the bottom when I jumped in. I am not sure how it got it's name, I they say one volunteer doctor broke his ankle while trying to jump across the rocks, but that is the only injury I have heard of. This is a great place to go on the weekends to get away and to see some of the local people. To get to the rocks you have to hike about 15 minutes or so below station. Along the way you see a lot of PNGers bathing, doing laundry, and swimming in the continuation of the river in which we jumped into above. You can float down the river to end your day, similar to Schlitterbahn's lazy river, with plenty of surprises along the way.