Sunday, August 3, 2008

The end of Adventures in Gardening

The McCoys got back from their furlough today. It was great to see them again, and now my responsibilities have significantly reduced. I am thankful that Buster, their cat, is still doing well. Buster did end up inside a few times, one time I found him on my bed, but he didn't stay there for long. He would let me know each night that he was hungry, so I couldn't forget to feed him. Marsha's plants are also still growing. I have never been able to keep plants growing before, but maybe that is because I watered them too much. I watered hers once a week and they are still going. The garden is also doing well upon Bill's return, but I did have some recent casualties.

A papaya tree blew over one night and uprooted. It was producing papayas and everything, but it got knocked over. I finished getting it out of the ground, but just left it there as it was a little heavy. This week I think I broke Bill's weedeater. I had done so well for 4 months, but I am pretty sure I didn't mix the oil and gas together this last time. I noticed it just didn't have the power it normally did, so I quit on Tues, and then retried on Saturday. When it still didn't work, I was about to give up when I noticed the gas and the oil sitting there and realized i didn't mix the 2 together. So once I put the mixed gas back in, it worked a little better, but not like before. We shall see what happens, but I will likely be buying him a new weedeater.
So in Bill's absence I have grown some cilantro, onions, squash, cucumbers, beans, peas, cabbage, zucchini, tomatoes, and carrots. I also managed to keep most of the weeds down, and harvested some pineapples and bananas. I am sure he will be growing lots more in the next few days to weeks, but I sure enjoyed the time I had out there in his garden.