Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Finding Nemo comes to life


I just got back from Madang. Madang is a coastal town on the eastern coast of PNG that is a great place to go snorkeling and scuba diving. I went with Gail, Kristen, Pamela, Judy and Sam. We stayed at a place where you can just walk out of your room into the ocean and see amazing coral. I often thought I was in the movie Finding Nemo because we saw clown fish who live in sea anemones, Gil's, and other amazing creatures which God has made. I enjoyed seeing the blue starfish, lion fishes, and lots of other fishes. I was thankful not to see any sharks, but I did see one snake going in and out of the coral. I quickly stopped myself from going forward, and went in reverse very quickly. I can't even begin to put into words how beautiful it was, and sorry, but I have no actual underwater pictures to share with you. If you could think of the best pictures you have seen of underwater coral and fish, I probably saw it, or something close. Others say this is one of the best places to go snorkeling in the world.


Our days consisted of snorkeling, sleeping, swimming, Settlers, and eating. We went snorkeling at least once a day, if not more. 2 days we travelled out to the islands, Pig and Sinab, to enjoy the coral there. At times, we all had mask trouble with fog, leaks, or pain from how tight it was, but we still enjoyed ourselves. I did learn that taking out the plastic thing that fits inside the foot hole in the fins, to store them, makes snorkeling a lot easier on the feet. Sam, Kristen, and I enjoyed canoeing around the island across from our hotel. We got caught up in some rough water at times, but finally made it home. It was a great 5 days away from the hospital, and Lord willing I will get a chance to go back. If anyone is a snorkeler or scuba diver, I would highly recommend going there.