Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Gardening failures and success

In my short time of being a gardener, or keeper of a garden, I have discovered that taking care of a garden requires certain skills - weedeating, weeding, rotatilling, harvesting, planting and growing. I am doing okay with the first 5, but not so well with the last one. I have learned all the tricks of Bill's machinery and am managing to keep the weeds at bay and the ground ready for planting. I have learned when to pick the different foods, and either find others to enjoy them, or eat them myself. I don't care for papaya, tomatoes, squash, and bananas so I give those away, but I also share what I do like - cabbage, cucumbers, peppers, and pineapple. I have also managed to harvest the seeds of cilantro, basil, beans, and peas for Bill to use when he returns.


Growing the plants has been rather difficult for me. I do okay planting, I just put some seeds in the soil, but getting them to grow has been a different story. I have managed to enjoy some cucumbers and had a 2 week period where I ate a cucumber everday. That plant is now almost done producing, but I have a few new ones starting again. I also have some watermelon buds growing out, but it will be a while before I can enjoy them. I have been able to start growing both beans and peas, but I don't really care for these. I keep trying to grow cabbage, but the bugs keep getting to them. The plot on the L used to have 12 cabbages at one point, now there are only 2 which have survived. Every time I plant cabbage (and I have planted them in about 5 different places) I may get 1 to keep going out of 5, not a very good percentage. I also have tried to grow things in Bill's nursery boxes - peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, basil, but have only managed to grow weeds. I still have a few weeks left before Bill gets back and takes over, so we will see if I can get anything to grow. If I can't, things will be ready for him.