Thursday, September 18, 2008

The garden

Bill is back working in the garden, and he is graciously, allowing me to help him. I thought I had broken both the weedeater and rotatiller, but thankfully the guys in maintenance were able to fix them, apparently they just needed cleaned. So we are back and fully operational now, which is good. Turning all that soil with a shovel was a lot of work, but it was fun. We have turned all the plots and most are already planted, so we are working on keeping the bugs out and waiting for the vegetables to grow. I have learned a lot about gardening since Bill has been back. I never realized how much work gardens are, but they are a lot of work. We recently have gotten some rain, which is helpful as we don't have to go and water everything ourselves as often, but does make for more weeding since the weeds grow better with water.
Numerous folks come to the fence and talk to Bill as he gardens, they don't usually talk to me, as they don't know who I am, which is fine. Today, a lady came and was telling us that we shouldn't transplant the cucumber plant or it will die. We were just looking at the cucumber plant and the little cucumbers growing and had no idea of transplanting it, but we thanked her for the advice. Then she said we weren't doing a very good job of keeping the grass from the plots. In the national's gardens, they have deep barrets (ditches) to keep the water out, and no grass at all. So she didn't think we were doing a good job, since all our barrets are full of grass. She was wanting to come and work and help us get the grass out. Bill told her I wasn't strong enough to get it all out, but I would keep trying, and thanks but we would do all the work we are able to do.
We currently have lots of pumpkin (squash) and cherry tomatoes that are ready to eat, but everything else is in the growing phase. We have cucumbers, watermelon, zucchini, lettuce, onions, cabbage, cilantro, carrots, beans, peas, pineapple, basil, bak choi, potatoes, tomatoes, and more growing. I am still holding out on liking beans and pumpkins, but otherwise I might enjoy most of the other foods that are growing. I keep trying to tell Bill we don't need to plant more beans, but he keeps planting them, not wanting any time to pass from the harvest of one group of beans to the next.