Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dinner Guests

Prior to living here, I didn't really cook. I still don't cook a lot, but I am learning and have learned how to make a handful of things that keep me going through the week. I occasionally have folks over for dinner, but not too often, and when I do, it is usually limited to a small number - one or 2. The thought of cooking for a large number of folks is quite intimidating, as is cooking for people who can really cook, but the other night I thought I would give it a try. I had Becky, Jessica, Cilla, Stacey (visiting nursing student), and the Bocks - Alan and Lynsey (med student and wife) - 7 people. I had to borrow the McCoys folding table and chairs in order to have enough room for everyone. Becky helped by making tortillas and beef tacos, and Lynsey made some cookies for dessert. I made a bunch of other Mexican food - chicken tacos, spanish rice, a corn dish, and all the fixins for tacos. It seemed like it took me forever to cut up everything, but it turned out well. At least it seemed that way because there wasn't a lot left over as we were cleaning up. I also made a berry cobbler from the blackberry like berries we have growing in the garden. Marsha gave me the recipe and although it didn't look as nice as hers does, it tasted pretty good. So although I don't really like to cook, I now am able to cook a number of things and so I may be having more dinner guests in the future, we shall see.