Sunday, October 4, 2009

TB Ward Miracles

I round on the TB ward once a week, on Thursdays. The patients there have TB in one form or another and require a place to stay to finish out their treatment of streptomycin injections, or to get strong before they go home. I often end up seeing pts on the TB ward about 4-7 times over the course of their stay and get to know them and their families. I have recently been blessed at the miracles God has done in the lives of some of the patients.
Noel came to use with weakness of his whole body, unable to walk, and barely able to raise his arms. When I first saw him, he couldn't raise his arm to shake my hand. Slowly, over the weeks, the strength in his arms started to get better and he could raise them a little bit. He got to the point where he could feed himself again and didn't require the help from his family. He is going to go home on Saturday, so this was my last time to see him. Today when I went to shake his hand, he grabbed my stethoscope - so I gave it to him. We put it around his neck. Then he went for my pen, so I gave that to him too. Then he wanted the chart, so I opened it up so he could write a note about himself. The note only looked like scribbles, but he sure looked cute doing it. What a joy to see God's healing hand. Noel isn't completely healed, but he is better than he was when he got here. He is a happy boy and his family is thankful for the improvement he has made.
Sonniya came to us with similar complaints to Noel. At 10 months, she was no longer sitting up or nursing well, and she was cross-eyed. Over the weeks she started getting stronger. She was nursing well and eating, sitting up, and starting babbling. She was becoming a healthy little girl, but was still cross-eyed. Her mom almost took her home due to a cholera scare the patients had, I am thankful she didn't. On the day of discharge, not only was Sonniya standing up with mom's help, smiling, and babbling, she was also no longer cross-eyed. God has healed the weakness of her muscles, including her eye muscles.
God's healing hand can do anything. Psalm 103:2 "Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits - who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases."