Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Against all odds


Against all odds this little guy is still alive.  He was quite happy and content inside his mama growing as best he could 2 wks ago, when his world was changed forever.  The safety and warmth of his mama’s uterus was pierced by a sharp knife held in the hands of the 2nd wife. 

His mama came into our ER with her intestines outside her body as a result of the knife wound.  During her surgery, it became apparent that the knife wound went into the uterus also.  Dr. Jim was able to sew up the uterus, but what effects it would have on this little guy, we didn’t know. 

2 wks later, she went into labor and this little overachiever was born.  He weighed only 400gms and the knife that pierced his mama pierced his leg and stomach also.  Like his mama, his intestines were outside of his body when he was born.  Born yesterday, no one expected him to live very long in our limited resource setting – but against all odds, he is still with us today.  What a fighter.  Apparently being born 4 months early and after having been stabbed hasn’t been enough to deter this little guy from spending some time in this world. 

Ecc 3:1-2 says, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die.”  This little guy’s time to be born was yesterday and his time to die is in the hands of our Creator.  His Creator who created his inmost being and knit him together inside his mother’s womb (Ps 139:13).   

It has only been a day, but this little guy is pretty special.  He should be dead, but keeps fighting and living.  This little guy has certainly made me think about my life.  Am I fighting everyday, am I giving it my all, doing all that my Creator is asking of me?  Am I enjoying and living each day that has been given, knowing that I don’t know what tomorrow brings?  Too often I don’t, but I sure want to.