Sunday, November 11, 2007

Village experience




This past weekend, Becky and I spent 72 hours in the village. We stayed with Rosen and her family. Rosen is the head of the PNG Women's Ministries here, and runs an HIV training center. She is widowed and has 3 children of her own, and a bunch that she cares for. The weekend was an opportunity for further language and cultural training. Becky learned a lot of the language over the weekend and was able to understand a lot of what people were saying. I also learned more Pidgin while I was there. I have quickly changed roles from needing to be translated for to being the translator. I still have more Pidgin to learn, but by God's grace I keep plugging along. This weekend was filled with many activities: we helped make food, we hiked up on a mountain and ate with some of Rosen's family, we taught Rosen how to use her computer better, we played volleyball and taught them how to play kickball, and today Becky sang at church and I shared the testimony I had shared to the women's group a week ago. It was a good weekend, but it sure made me appreciate the comforts of my new home - a hot shower, computer and internet, an inside toilet, a refrigerator, and much more.