Sunday, August 3, 2008

Aden/Moning people


I recently took care of one of our staff's daughters. Sister Paula is our Director of Nursing, her husband, Mr. James, had been one of our nurses. They have 2 kids, and 1 on the way. Recently, Mr. James brought Pamela, their almost 2 yo to come and see me with a cough. He apologized for her calling all white people Aden. I didn't hear her talk during our visit, so I didn't think anything of it. That same night, I was on call. They came to the ER as she was now having worsening SOB and some wheezing. Sister Paula was there also. Once Pamela was feeling better she started talking. This time she kept calling me Aden. They tried to tell her my name was Dr. Erin, not Aden, but she kept saying Aden, and eventually it grew to Dr. Aden. I had to go to the ward while I was seeing her, so when I came back she said Dr. Aden. Thankfully she was doing well and was able to go home. They were waiting for their meds at the pharmacy and when she spotted me she said Dr. Aden. It was cute.

Sister Paula apologized for her calling all white people Aden, but I told her not to worry about it. Aden Riggins, who Pamela thinks we all are, at one point called the PNG nationals the moning people. Moning is the Pidgin greeting for good morning. On walks, he would hear his parents and others say moning to the nationals as they walked, so he thought that was their name. Kids are so cute.