Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A reminder of God's love

With her cute little waddle walk, Brenda, a 12yo little girl who only came up to my waist, made her way into my exam room with her mom.  Before I got into the room, she had already showed off her huge smile and had hugged the nursing and medical student who were waiting patiently for me to return.  As I enter, she looks up at me, smiles, walks with her arms outstretched toward me for a hug.  She stole my heart right there.

She doesn't talk, but understands what is being said.  Although she may seems handicapped or disadvantaged in someway because she doesn't talk, she actually sees the world in such a beautiful simple way that is quite refreshing.  She has no reservations about skin color, age, or position in society.  None of that matters to her, she just gives hugs and smiles to everyone.  I was telling Bill about her and he wanted to meet her.  So we went outside to find her and she turns, sees us, smiles, puts her arms out and walks right to Bill to give him a hug.

The joy and love that she demonstrated reminded me of God loves for each of us.  He loves us no matter who we are, what color our skin is, how much money we make, how we dress, or what we have done in our lives.  He loved us so much that he sent His Son, Jesus, to a cross to die for our sins.  May we all love others as Brenda and our Lord love us.

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."