Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Giant Pumpkin


Since we don't eat the Giant Pumpkins, I thought I could try and put this one to good use.  Being that it is  Christmas time, I thought I would try a little manager scene, I am not much of an artist, but I had fun doing it.  Carving the pumpkin reminded me of the christmas cookie decorating fun that Megan and I had in high school and college with the Stark family.   We would always try and put manager scenes on the cookies, along with some surprises for those eating the cookies.

Carving a giant pumpkin isn't much different than carving a regular pumpkin, but it takes quite a while.  It took me a good 15 minutes just to get the side of the pumpkin off so I could get out the insides.  I ended up needing to get a bush knife (machete) out as it was longer than my kitchen knife that I was using.  After I carved the pumpkin, I spent more time trying to get out as much of the inside as possible to make it lighter to carry.  Bill and I were able to carry the pumpkin from the middle of the garden out by the fence.  The Papua New Guineans who live behind us are always stopping at the fence and commenting on the garden and the GP, so I thought they might enjoy looking at a Christmas pumpkin.  Music or the the voice of someone telling the Christmas story would be a great addition to this Christmas pumpkin, but hopefully they can see the manager with baby Jesus and the star and think of God's gift to us this Christmas Season.